Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jan 2014 20:29:21 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: cheap '89 Bluestar on CL

After owning and driving 3 VWs with AT, a '70 Squareback, A '71 411 and a '76 Bay, my first Vanagon was a MT. I liked the vehicle; didn't like all the shifting in Chicago traffic. My next Vanagon was an '84 Wolfsburg with AT. The trans had been rebuilt but not very well. I got to do it again before long. It took me a couple of tries, but I learned a lot and finally got it right. My daughter and I got to be quite fast at R&R. My present daily driver, a '91 GL with AT, routinely got about 19 mpg at 70 mph with the wbx engine. This has improved about 1 mpg with a Subie EJ22. The trans now has about 210K miles on it with no service other than fluid changes and one TC seal replacement. For the past year my wife and I have also been driving a 2001 Outback that we inherited from my daughter when she moved into Manhattan. Unfortunately it has a 5 speed MT. A few months ago, the bearings in the trans got very bad; I found about a cup of metal shavings in the bottom of the case. A replacement trans was not easy to find. Once again, I am tired of shifting. My wife has a reasonable amount of experience with MT cars, but has never learned to shift very smoothly. The jerking, etc. puts a lot of stress on the drive train that would not happen with an AT. I grew up driving every type of car, truck, and tractor imaginable and am comfortable in a semi with 10 or twelve speeds and a double axle, but for daily driving I'll take an AT.

Larry A.