Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Feb 2014 21:00:53 -0800
From:         "SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil over fill concern
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

what bothers me the most is that of 6 qts of oil supplied by the customer.. it should be very clear where those 6 qts went.

obviously all 6 in the engine would be really stupid. so if they didn't put them all in the engine .. they figure the customer was just tiping them a couple of qts to keep for their shop ????

Are the sloppy, spaced out, or just careless or what ??"

I would also advise that just pulling the dipstick out of a cold engine before running it is not a very valid test.. surface tension can affect the reading.

at the minumum the dipstick must be wiped off and reinserted to get a reading. "usually' taking a cold reading is OK.

of course to be really right and valid..it needs to be warmed up ..then shut off, let to sit a few minutes ...van on the level, then take dipstick reading.

Ideal is between the marks ..not on the Full mark. And never over it.

yeah, no kidding ..question all their abilities. I doubt the customer will be going back there or sending anyone there.

a Totally bonehead action by the shop. If there is One Thing to protect and take care of ..it's your reputation and your customers.

"most' ...the majority of professional car work never gets above perhaps 75 % perfect.

Then, when you try to talk to them about it they are usually defensive. when all they have to do is say .. "oh my gosh ! I'm sorry that happened..we'll take care of it for you right away !" like duh.

what's so hard about that ?

On 2/1/2014 2:33 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > I would call the shop and ask if they put all the oil in. Now before you get > too worked up it is possible to get false readings especially in cold > weather although usually the error will result in a lower than actual > reading. > > Was the van parked on a level parking surface both side to side and front > rear? > Was the engine started at all before checking the oil level? If so was > allowed to run until warmed up? Not just the water temp. Did it actually get > to warm up? And then after that was it shut down for at 5 minutes so the oil > can drain down? > > With cold thick oil, it is possible for the oil to collect between the rear > of the engine case and accumulate near the cam gear. This is also where the > dip stick. This will give a false high reading. Run a bit longer and the oil > will collect in the heads and stick to the top of the case providing a false > low reading. > > If the shop did put in the 6 quarts of oil I would have to question all > their capabilities. > > The usual damage from an overfilled crankcase incudes the catalytic > converter and O2 sensor. Oil over heating and mixing can force oil past > the seals. This can also cause excessive oil heating, foaming, and the > related loss of oil pressure. The excess oil can foul the piston rings. In > the extreme since these engines have horizontal cylinders the bores can fill > with oil pushing past the rings and hydraulically lock an engine up, (can't > compress oil). The busted pistons and bent rods will let you know. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Eric Caron > Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2014 2:58 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Oil over fill concern > > Hi listers, > > Just before the snow and freezing temperatures set in I got my car > back from the local independent mechanic specializing in VW and other > foreign cars. We drove it the 10 miles home and I have not had friends with > eyes to check over it. On my own I noticed a few things that made me > concerned about his work. > > Today I asked my girlfriend to be my eyes and look at the oil level. > To my surprise and fear she said the oil was way above the second line. She > said it was above the twist in the dip stick that holds the line. > > Can anyone tell me if I have likely done damage to my 1.9 with 140,000 miles > by driving it the 10 miles? And any idea how much oil I need to drain out? > I gave him a unopened case of 6 mobile 1 and my fear is he put in all 6! He > didn't leave any unused in the car. > > I'm also terrified as he changed the gear oil and the transmission fluid and > I don't even know how > > > to check the gear oil. I will need to drain some engine oil before I can > run the car long enough to check it. > > Suggestions greatly appreciated > > Eric Caron > 85 GL Westy Auto >