Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Feb 2014 05:33:33 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: air cooled 2.0 1981 Cylinder head temp?
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>

On 2/6/2014 10:21 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > On these engine you will find a head temp gauge to be a fantastic fuel > saving device especially for the Vanagon. You will discover the max speed > for temp control real fast. > Under the spark plug you are really getting the spark plug temperature. > Where the location of the thermocouple ends up can have an effect on the > readings. Get that junction on top so it gets some airflow and you can get a > lower reading. > > 375 to 425 seems to be common range for 65 and under driving. Having a > working EGR system can lower the temp significantly. For extended high speed > operation premium fuel will help especially if the EGR system is missing. > > Dennis > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Glen Moon > Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:06 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: air cooled 2.0 1981 Cylinder head temp? > > Rebuilt 2.0 air cooled. Having mechanic put a Dokata cylinder head sensor > under #3 plug, to gauge on dash. What should the temperture be? > > > > Glen My 79 'oaf engine was built a la Gene Berg specs wit hreamed out combustion chambers and spacers under the barrels to get the CR down to 7:1. I think Ray Litz did the port job on them and the bigger valves. I had a mild cam in it and dual two barrel webers, 44IDF's IIRC. I too was concerned about head temp and Mr.. Berg said any head temp gauge costing less than $900 would not give accurate readings. I tried mounting the VDO ring sensor underthe plug and had trouble with it shifting around during tightening and moving it under the factory temp sensor gave really low and un responsive reading. I ended up modifying things so the ring would fit under one of the copper exhaust flange nuts on the #3 cylinder(old shcool thinking there, for sure) and with one venturi per cylinder, I'm pretty sure I was getting as cool a readingunder load as I was goingto get, especally when the plugs were reading perfectly. The engine lasted over 100k and I had solid lifters in it and checked valve adjustments every 3k, but adjust valves maybe 3 or 4 times in that 100k, and once they were loose rather than tight.

Bottom line was that the head temp sensor in that position never read any higher than 450 degrees, and that was under full load climbing I-24 up to Monteagle/Sewanee TN(8-10 mile climb at about 8% grade) in the middle of July with 2 full sized canoes on the roof. Whether or not the number of degrees F was accurate or not, the gauge/sensor reacted MUCH quicker to loads and head temp changes being mounted there as opposed to under the plug, and after all, isn't that what we're really after? Knowing when your gauge gets past point "C" is when you need to slow down or check for other reasons why it's getting hot. When I'd be off load going down that hill on I-24, the head temp dropped immediately, the oil temps lagged far behind, as they should have. I realize carbed motors don't have ECU issues and that was like 20 years ago, but Berg made a believer out of me.

YMMV DM&FS