Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Feb 2014 07:56:22 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Special Tools for the Home Mechanic
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

John;

That upper ball joint simply I bolts from the car. I am not sure what that extractor would do.

The bottom is complex enough that a pretty special shaped mandrel (or whatever you call it) is needed; an ordinary cylinder in a press won't do because of the shape of the steering knuckle.

When I did my front end a few years back, I removed the knuckle with lower joint in situ and took it to a tire place where their mechanic pressed out the old and pressed in the new for $20. Shop around. I got quotes around $100 for the same simple job.

An alternative would be to get the loaner tool from autozone. They have the expanded kit that other list members have successfully used. Point is that a basic front end set won't do the job.

You could probably do this with a punch and hammer but I didn't see the need to take that risk.

Jim