Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Feb 2014 12:12:05 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust Bushing Inner Weave Premature Failure
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

Welding something can induce stress and misalignment. I was shown this....pretty large movements were apparent as the welder worked. On something as long and obviously vulnerable to stress as the exhaust systems on in lines seem to be, I'm guessing that it is common to screw up the exhaust with careless welding and leave it with welded-in stresses that lead to fairly quick cracking in a lot of cases. Muffler guys are often not the most careful craftsmen. The diesel vanagon exhaust mounts, they are not very forgiving. most exhaust systems have some give..some flex. Ours have to be correct, or as you tighten them into place you are stressing something... and those flex joints are the weak link.