Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Feb 2014 17:21:54 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 89 Bluestar project
Comments: To: Steve Cotsford <cotsford@AOL.COM>

There were/are a series of videos by Ben ?? (can't remember his last name, French Canadian fellow, nice guy, very helpful, now does Subie conversions) what was his website called, Bens Place? Yes, thats it (Googled it) http://www.benplace.com/ If they are still on his site, there a series of for videos about tearing down a waterboxer engine. Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > Thank you Stephen. What is the technique to knock the heads loose so > the cylinder themselves dont get dislodged. Is there a write up > somewhere that shows what needs to be done if the cylinders do get > loosened? I'm assuming that there are some kind of seals at the bottom > that have to be replaced. I have no reason to suspect that the rings > need replacement so I would really like to avoid any loosening or > movement of the cylinders. Sounds a bit iffy and challenging. Thanks, > Steve > On Feb 1, 2014, at 7:50 PM, Steve Cotsford <cotsford@aol.com> wrote: > > Well.....The cold weather finally abated somewhat here so I was back > > working under the van. I came to terms with the muffler and decided > > that the work I did to shorten the syncro heatshield was worthwhile. > > I still have some interference between the tailpipe and some > > bodywork under the bumper but I will remove the tailpipe again and > > shorten it by 1/2" or so to stop the intermittent light banging, > > which is just at idle. > > > > At this point I have seen some some slight coolant leakage coming > > from both the cylinder head seals so I am assuming I have another > > big job, to replace the head gaskets and sealing components. I have > > several questions before I take this on. > > > > 1 All I know about this 2.1 engine is that it has supposedly done a > > bit more than 100K miles and came off a Syncro Doka. Exhaust was > > very heavily corroded. It was obtained separately from the 89 > > Bluestar but I bought it with the van but uninstalled and > > incomplete. Van has 140k plus. > > 2 Is this going to be a can of worms or is it just a question of > > removing the exhaust pipes and intakes from the cylinder heads, > > followed by loosening all the cylinder head bolts, removing valve > > gear, pushrods and pushrod tubes etc and then pulling the heads off? > > 3 Is engine removal essential or can it be done while installed? > > 4 I was given two very low mileage heads very many years ago and > > they are probably from a 1.9. This engine is a 2.1. These heads have > > no corrosion in the seal area and one has no cracks whatever between > > the valves and the other has very tiny cracks there. Are these > > potentially good heads to use or should I plan on reusing the > > existing heads? > > 5 I have not driven the van with this engine other than 200 yards in > > 1st and 2nd as it is not yet registered and insured. It seems to > > pull smoothly and the gear change is nice. No smoke seems to come > > out of the exhaust and there no ominous noises coming from the > > engine, Are there other tests I really should do on this engine > > before I decide that the head gasket job is worth while? > > I have not yet been able to get the rocking out of the idle but > > revved up just a little or a lot it seems to be very smooth but I > > honestly do not know yet why the idle is not smoother than it is. > > I do have some slight exhaust leaks where the J pipe is attached to > > the two pipes from the heads but they should be simple to repair. > > Could they be causing the idle rocking? > > > > I know many people replace the original engines with something more > > modern and more powerful. At this point I would like to get the 2.1 > > running nicely if possible. Thanks for any advice. Cheers, Steve