Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Feb 2014 10:07:29 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '88 GL ignition miss, stalling
Comments: To: Gregory Smith <gfs@gregoryfsmith.com>

Using a careful hand, the ECU isn't hard to open up. A magnifier with light helps. I've found that to be a useful tool for lots of other things.

Do you have access to an AFM "pigtail" ? Have you ruled out "Vanagon syndrome" ?

I'm pretty sure the seat belt warning light isn't on a timer. Regardless, it's connected to the 15 buss. The ignition system etc. connects to the 15 buss.

P 97.133 shows S18 as the fuse for the seat belt and brake warning light etc. parts. Be aware that your '88 may use '87 wiring. This is what I found on my '88.

@ list: Could Greg remove the S18 fuse for test drive purposes? Aside from having no brake, seatbelt warning lights, AFAIK, this would be ok.

Neil.

On 2/10/14, Gregory Smith <gfs@gregoryfsmith.com> wrote:

> > This seemed to fix it for exactly 2 months. Then it started again.

> I'm left with the ECU, like possibly cracked solder joints or something like > that, or possibly the power wire to the ECU from the alternator. I read > about this on the Samba, someone found this wire frayed inside the > insulation, under the AFM. I'll check on this today. > > Another thing that sometimes occurs that may be related, but is not > synchronized with this problem is sometimes while driving the seatbelt > warning light will come one and go back out (I think it's on a timer).

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej