Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Feb 2014 13:13:13 -0600
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Accelerator Pedal Attachment?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

Don,

That is surely a moisture accumulator spot - snow, ice, rain, mud - all comes in ou8r geet and winds up there.

If one hasn't ever pulled up the carpet and looked carefully - I strongly recommend they do so. Once that location rusts through - its tough to fix properly because there are several humps and bends in the factory metal - and trying to match that in a repair is a real pain PITA.

John

On 2/8/2014 8:18 AM, Don Hanson wrote: > Epoxy is temperature-sensitive. Probably take a long time to cure unless > your van can be warmed. You'd also want bare metal and dry to get a good > bond. > > The accelerator pedal is something I need to have a look at on my van, > too. A moisture spot for sure. I'm probably in need of preemptive repairs > there. > On Feb 7, 2014 10:41 PM, "SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss )" < > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > >> If you get professional grade two-part metal epoxy .. >> I get mine from a 'real' automtoive paint and body repair materials >> store ... >> I call this stuff space ship glue .. >> two clean pieces of metal bonded together with this stuff .. >> and it will NEVER come apart. >> You have to buy the mixing gun/dispenser also, a one-time expense. >> >> I swear ..a six inch by six inc metal patch bonded to the roof to the >> roof of the van with this stuff..you could lift the whole van with a >> crane from that patch ..it's that strong and permanent. >> >> it's perfect for floor repair. I like galvanized sheet metal there...or >> aluminum ..or stainless steel ... >> >> I have repaired jacking points on a mercedes car with it even. >> Not cheap ...but strongern' hell. >> >> >> On 2/7/2014 9:00 PM, JRodgers wrote: >> >>> The floor on Ol' Red rusted through at the rivet holes. Fortunately >>> there was enough metal there to put two of those sheet metal fasteners >>> in place to accept sheet metal screws. For the time being it's working, >>> but looks like I've got to have a piece of sheet metal hammered to shape >>> and welded in. not a fun place to patch. Body shop wants 300 bucks for a >>> bodyshop type repair. >>> >>> JOhn >>> >>> On 2/7/2014 10:46 PM, Tom Buese wrote: >>> >>>> I had my pedal ( Doka) break loose 750 miles from home-used duct tape >>>> for >>>> the drive home-replaced at home w/ self tapping sheetmetal screws, IIRC. >>>> Detail is similar from splits to Vanagons. You can always change the >>>> sheetmetal screws to Max's detail when the weather is nicer? >>>> >>>> >>>> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 11:05 PM, Max Wellhouse >>>> <dimwittedmoose@cfu.net>wrote: >>>> >>>> On 2/7/2014 9:34 PM, Jim Arnott wrote: >>>>> >>>>> The pedal came loose at the floor. ETKA shows pop rivets as the >>>>>> attaching >>>>>> fasteners. Can anyone verify this? (Pop rivets will make fixing it >>>>>> MUCH >>>>>> easier, but if they're threaded fasteners, I'll have to come up with a >>>>>> better failed fastener removal strategy than a punch and a BFH.) >>>>>> >>>>>> Does anyone have hands on experience? (I'm going to be fixing this >>>>>> in a >>>>>> snowstorm. If I don't have to pull the frozen carpet, that would be >>>>>> wonderful.) >>>>>> >>>>>> Thanks in advance. >>>>>> >>>>>> Jim >>>>>> >>>>>> My rivets failed several years ago in the midst of an Iowa winter. NO >>>>> fun to do cold. I fixed it once and for all. Took two #10 pan head >>>>> stainless machine screws and pooked them through the floor and used ss >>>>> fender washers and ss nylox nuts and you wil lneed a 2nd pair of hands >>>>> to finish the tightening sequence. I was not going ot have this happen >>>>> again.... >>>>> >>>>> YMMV >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> DM&FS >>>>> >>>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Tom Buese >>>> >>>> >>> >