Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Feb 2014 18:39:57 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hello, new here. Mechanic question
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

Art, welcome to the Vanagon list.

Seconding the suggestion to change the fuel injector lines, I will go further. Replace all the fuel lines, and eliminate the plastic piece that splices the main fuel line from the filter across the "firewall." There are several ways to do this, and there are advocates of each. Look at the part, read the archives on the subject, and choose a replacement method. Then do it. If you want to know what different people consider the best way to do it, the archives will have that, too.

The part is sometimes called the "firestarter," and the moniker is reputed to be appropriate. Any plastic part as old as our vans would be subject to failure, and gasoline spraying into a hot engine compartment doesn't seem like a good idea. More than one van has burned due to failure here.

Again, welcome, Dave

---- JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Art, Welcome aboard!! > > This a a grand bunch of Volks, and they can and will be a great resource. > > First things first. Get yourself a copy of the bit green Bentley book - > VW's definitive official service manual. Most of our online vendors > carry it. > > Second - change your fuel injectors hoses. DO NOT trrust that the PO > (previous owner) took care of it. The vans are very prone to burn - and > the hoses are mostly the cause - not all - but mostly. > > Re: the Throttle body - it has a switch on it and it can easily be > adjusted by just removing the whole throttle body from the top of the > engine to get to it. All that hardware sitting on top is not that > difficult to remove and put back. A pair of pliers and a screwdriver is > all it takes pretty much. Bentley describes the adjustments and give the > specs for setting it up. Last time mine was done a feeler gauge was not > even required. If your hearing is good you can hear when the switch > opens and closes. But - it's best to use the settings in Bentley. > > I personally feel that you got gouged on the throttle body - UNLESS is > was worn badly - then that is another story. But a truly good mechanic > would have shown you the problem in any case. > > Good luck, and I hpe you gt many miles of pleasure from your van. > > BTW - I have 91 Carat project vehicle I hope to get on the road this year. > > John > On 2/14/2014 1:40 PM, Art Jury wrote: > > Hi I have just joined the Vanagon religion with a 1990 vanagon Carat. > > Steep learing curve if I should not post this here please let me know. > > > > In getting my Vanagon registered I had to pass smog (for the last time next > > year over 25). I ended up getting a waver as it did not pass. > > > > The mechanic that did the work charged an hour labor and replaced the > > Throttle body (claimed it read open when he checked it). Another mechanic > > friend of mine thinks this smells a bit (inflating bill and possibly not > > even changing the part as it usually just needs a cleaning). > > > > Actually the second test at the smog place was worse than the first > > (hydrocarbons allowable 400, first time 434 second time 535). > > Instrestingly the total bill was exactly what I would need to get a > > waiver...... > > > > So what do you folks think? > > > > While I hope to reach the smartness of the rest of you folks and do most of > > my work on my own I know I will need some help as I get up to speed, I dont > > mind paying for quality work but not much for getting ripped off. > > > > As the last honest mechanic told me (he actually let me work next to him, I > > learned a lot!) "there are already enough broke cars why make stuff up? > > bad karma" > > > > Thank you for your time sure looks like an active group. > > > > Art > > Seattle > > 1990 vanagon carat burgundy weekender. > > > > -- > > The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not > > expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson > > > > "You don't pay back, you pay forward." Robert A. Heinlein > >

-- David McNeely