Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Feb 2014 19:32:17 -0800
From:         "SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust Bushing Inner Weave Premature Failure
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

As I've said.. I just reproduce what VW did with their diesel vanagon .. and that includes having the down pipe do an S curve down ....and then near the engine.. then doing a big U turn to enter into the cat and muffler. It's an S and not in one plain.

look at the header / down pipe for a diesel vanagon . it could very well be that those curves and U-turn absorb vibration related stresses. I just do the same thing but bigger.

and for sure ..a 3 bolt flange at the end of the header/down pipe ... then cat, then flange again, then tail pipe, with all those across the rear of the engine and van .

it's much harder to do than a simple straight-with-curves at the corners pipe..considerably more labor intensive to fabricate ...sure seems to work though.

I've had excellent results by building the pipes n' stuff in place on the van .. usually fit in place, weld some, remove, weld some more, re-fit to check things etc.. several times, spending hours even. and I don't try to make my welding perfect. after I have it well tack-welded together and perfectly fitting , then I take it to a real welder-fabricator and have him finish-weld it .. that's always worked just great.

in welding ..the actual 'zzzzzzt't welding part is nothing .. it's the design and set up that's the hard part.

when you hand something to a welder and say 'weld this please' ..and there's nothing for them to figure out , or clean , or fit ..just zap it carefully ... ..that's super easy for them and they usually don't charge much.

My style is to incrementally move something towards the final configuration ..in careful steps .. it takes lots longer that way, but the result is often quite good.

lol..I've seen a tdi exhaust on van ..looked at how it was done and figured 45 minutes at the most is all it took .. and one ..while quite crude, I could see that it was going to work for a good while, especially considering the very low effort and time it too to make it. I spend a good dozen or more hours making mine ..but they come out pretty darn good. I do it for the reward and satifaction too ..not just to get something that works.

scott was turbovans

On 2/9/2014 6:06 PM, Neil N wrote: > I bet!the > > Scott and Alistair have had great success building I4 exhausts with no > flex joint so when the current bushing fails, I'll replace the section > with pipe. The cat hanging out away from the engine may not be the > best bet but we'll see. In hindsight, I should have made the cat > serviceable with bolt flanges at each end. > > Someday soon I hope to tilt my engine over to the 50ยบ mount angle but > am in no hurry to do so. > > I wonder how much of the old bushing weave is stuck in the element? > > I appreciate the help and "list patience" with this thread. Thanks folks! > > Neil. > > On 2/9/14, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> Five inch exhaust can make you >> appreciate Vanagon exhaust quickly. >