Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:05:37 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weird problem, broken flex plate in 85 Vanagon
Comments: To: "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

I've experienced a couple of failures over the years but not on a Vanagon. Flex plates flex carrying that heavy torque converter, and that will ultimately lead to failure. Some fail sooner than others.

KEP had cracking problems with the welds on some of their early Subaru conversion plates, and my son-in-law's Alfa also failed at about 150k. That thing was a three point spoke affair and, incredibly, it still powered the car when completely fractured, but made an awful noise at Idle and at shut down! Sad end to that story--he was in a hurry installing the TC after replacing the plate, and missed one of the three input splines. That took out the tranny pump instantly and he had no gears when he started it up. Compounding that, after a $4000 tranny rebuild he bent a valve replacing the water pump and donated the car to our public television station. I only let him work under my supervision now!

Stuart