Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:51:53 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Leak

Also, when was the last time you changed your coolant? This would be a good time.

If you are running "regular" coolant it should be changed every two years, and this is very important with the Vanagon. "Extended life" can go five years, but some may change it sooner. I does not break down into acids like standard does, so I think it's the best choice. Zerex G-05 (good enough for BMW) is what I use, but others work too as long as they are phosphate free. Go Westy, who warrants their engines for 48k miles/4 years also recommends using distilled water to dilute the coolant to 50/50. http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=1040

There are many tips for doing this job, but that's another subject!

Stuart

Be sure to use the correct size PhillipsScrewdriver on those as they may be VeryDifficult

to remove & you don't want to mess them up or they may never come out ~ Shoot them with

the Lube of your choice 1st & use 1 of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools-Garage-and-Equipment/Impa ct-Driver-Set/_/N-25dw

if necessary if you have 1 ~

ORR ~ DeanB