Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Feb 2014 18:06:45 -0500
From:         Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      rear access hatch adjustment

Hi listers,

This seems like a silly question but it is certainly vanagon related so I'll go for it.

I've managed to get my rear bumper respectably straightened out. As a result the rear hatch that exposes the oil and coolant area now opens fully.

So first question. What is the correct name for this little door?

Next question. Is there a way to adjust it at all? In my case the latch holding it shut is acting very wimpy. Everything seems straight and lined up as far as I can tell. the top of the little door matches up with the little rubber bumpers on the van body. also. the license plate seems to sit a bit low. the bottom of the plate is below the top edge of the bumper. Is this normal?

I could just leave well enough alone, but what fun would that be? I'm looking for a way to have the small door shutt with a satisfying thunk and act latched.

Tips are greatly appreciated.

Eric Caron 85 GL Auto