Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:35:55 -0500
From:         Steve Cotsford <cotsford@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Changing the Black O Ring On a Cylnder Sleeve...
Comments: To: Jeff Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net>

Well you have the 3D model in front of you and can see things more clearly for sure. I have a feeling however that Ben would not suggest it if it does not work but maybe he has a trick. If the piston is at top dead center before moving anything, then there is the entire stroke of the piston that the sleeve could be raised before a piston ring would become disengaged, probably a little more. I would have thought that moving the cylinder that much would get the black ring to a position where it can become disengaged and removed with perhaps something like a dentist's tool. Then again, I do not know the stroke of a 1.9 or a 2.1 and certainly having the engine out and on a stand or at least having the cylinders oriented vertically must make things much clearer and easier. Perhaps having the engine out is in fact the key to the whole issue ?? I would be guessing but I think that is what Ben would say. Wishing you all the best. Steve