Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Feb 2014 22:16:05 -0900
From:         Mark Tuovinen <aksyncronaut@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 86 Vanagon, shoulder belts for rear bench seat (for sale)
Comments: To: Ian Connelly <iconic@gmail.com>

Ian,

The link you provided says they are for use on rear facing jump seats. If that is your intent and to use them for child safety seats then you should rethink your plan. If you are going to put your kids on the back seat then its ok as long as the belts you have are being sold for use in that location which these do not seem to be. You should never use a child car seat in a rear facing seat, I can't recall the specifics behind this right now but the NHTSA has a week long 40 hour course for child safety seat installation and this is addressed in the course. The issue has to do with how the belts operate and how the seats are designed to sit in a vehicle plus the physics involved in a crash, Young children should be rear facing in the US until 1 yr and 20lbs minimum(your state may say longer) in europe I believe they do it for 2 yrs but that is still in forward facing seats never rear facing unless the manufacturer sold the vehicle and a seat designed for it. My wife knows more on this as she has taken the course more than once but she is in Seattle right now. Return them and get the belts for use on the rear seat, they are easy to install and your children will be safer there. You should be able to find new belts from an online vendor or pull some from a 1988 or newer that came from VW with them. VW even sold a kit to upgrade to rear shoulder belts at one time but I doubt they are available anymore and the one I picked up as NOS on ebay once did not have the lower bracket in it.

Mark in AK