Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Feb 2014 13:48:56 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A totally "Shocking" story! NO VANAGON CONTENT, BUT ALL VW
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>

The AC 3 phase motor is the workhorse of industry and now technology has made Variable frequency/volts AC drives for these readily available and affordable. Even forklifts use AC drives powered by the DC batteries. Even VFDs that run on AC first convert to DC and then back to the variable frequency/voltage to control motors.

True DC motors relay on magnets or field coils along with the commutators and brushes. The brushes and commutators wear and add friction. While permanent magnets are now getting strong enough to eliminate the need for field coils on many applications, when massive torque is needed you end up series fields, (starter motors), and when speed control is needed shunt fields which often need a separate dedicated power supply. Many industrial motors needed both. These coils need energy, sometimes a lot.

Dennis