Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Feb 2014 18:45:34 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Starting system quirk - diagnosis help needed
Comments: To: David <okdavid5555@COX.NET>

At 04:20 PM 2/15/2014, David wrote: >I emphasize that this happens infrequently, and when it does, the period of >time before the starter kicks in is usually almost imperceptible, but it's >enough of a delay that you're aware of it happening. There does not appear >to be a correlation between outside air temp or whether the engine is warm >or cold.

I guess it's possible that this could be from the ignition switch (and you ought to carry a spare regardless, as it's a trivial matter to temporarily substitute in for testing or until you can install it properly into the lock assembly). You can eliminate the ignition switch and all the control wiring if it doesn't operate any better when you connect a mechanic's remote starter switch directly from the alternator B+ terminal to the starter control terminal.

However I'd be surprised if this weren't the result of the starter solenoid internals getting sticky. The next time it's balky either get someone else to turn the key or use your remote starter switch. Either way, rap the side of the starter with a hammer while the key is turned to start or the switch is pressed. If the starter operates at that point you've found the problem.

People have successfully taken these starters apart and cleaned them up inside. I haven't done it so can't help with details. The alternative of course is a rebuilt starter.

There is one unlikely possibility: It can happen that the control wire works off the terminal on the starter and hangs there just barely (or sometimes not quite) touching the terminal. I've had it happen in a Vanagon and a Fiat 128, so I know it's possible.

Yours, David