Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Feb 2014 09:37:43 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Head Pic
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

The corrosion on the face is not a concern but obviously the corrosion on the cylinder seat is. This type of corrosion is the result of using straight water and/or a system that cannot hold pressure. It also happens to systems that regularly leak and have coolant added on a regular basis. Contrary to rational thought regular additions to a cooling system is not good. Every time fresh water is put into the system so is fresh oxygen. Think of a house baseboard or radiator heating system. No additives are used (normally) and the plumbing and boilers last for 30 years and more! Why? Once the system is charged and the oxygen and other corrosives are used or purged everything is good. If a leak develops and the system adds water on a regular basis then corrosion will begin and then boilers fail and baseboards begin to leak as the damage progresses. This appears to more erosion from coolant vaporization than corrosion. It happened hear the cylinder spigots and that is the hottest part of the engine besides the piston and combustion chamber. That spare engine was not as good as you may have thought.

Dennis