Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Feb 2014 15:03:59 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      More On My Head Job

Hows that for a catchy subject line? But it the Vanagon list, we all know what I'm talking about. First I was just going to pull the head, then I was talked into dropping the engine, but the other night I ended up pulling just the head. It was easy, my biggest fear was pulling one or both sleeves off the pistons. #2 didn't stick at all, #1 did, but the tabs did their job, with just a very small amount of prying it let go. Now that I'm this far, though, I am back to dropping the engine. Several reasons: 1) the rear exhaust pipe needs changing, the one on there is nearly toast, and I have a perfect replacement. Getting it off with the engine in place is going to be nearly impossible 2) AFAIK, this is the original engine, at 155K miles. It was running really, really well except for the coolant leak from the head (seriously, if not for the coolant leak I'd have jumped in the van and driven it from coast to coast) I'm thinking new water pump is in order 3) evidence of a leak between the engine/trans, main seal? 4) it seems silly to do just one head, might as well do the other one too, and 5) I'm facing one of those life changing events in the spring, putting my house on the market and once it sells i don't know where I am going to end up and if I'll have a garage again anytime soon. Now, some questions-once I popped the valve cover off the right head, the top of the head, including the nuts, are a bronze color-is this an indication it has been overheated? I've seen a few, not a lot, of Vanagon heads and I've never seen one this color-I have not popped the other valve cover to see what the other head looks like (I do also have a complete spare engine) Next question: does anyone know of an exhaust coating that doesn't burn off in 30 minutes? (and to list vendors, thanks, but no thanks, I'm not buying an $1,800-2,000.00 stainless exhaust, I'd put that money towards a Bostig first) Like I said, I have some perfect exhaust pipe replacements and I'd like to make them last. Thanks all! Jeff

Jeff Stewart