Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Feb 2014 18:46:10 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: was: That bad in wind? Friday wind story

A friend was co-driving the Baja 1000..waiting in a remote pit in the outback for his car to arrive. They had gas, tools and an EZ Up shade canopy. A gust picked up the canopy, starting to blow it away. Tom jumped and grabbed it, but the wind took it and before Tom knew it he was flying, right into a huge Cholla patch. If you've ever encountered this cactus (might be what US people call Prickly pear) you know it's very nasty and super difficult to get out of your body. Tom was covered in the stuff. There was an EMT present who offered pain killers before they got busy with the vice grips on literally hundreds of spines in poor Tom. He toughed it out cold turkey and in a short time jumped into the racecar and drove his stint......Said that was one of the most painful mishaps he has ever endured.