Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Feb 2014 09:28:59 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 82 diesel damp interior
Comments: To: Dana Mueller <dmueller@WACK.COM>

I'm in the PNW too, and it can be a problem. Usually black mold/mildew spots form on the roof every winter, but not anymore, I've found a solution.

First thing is replace the front and rear hatch window seals along with antenna entry, they are the major problems after 30 years.

Next, often the plastic sheet sealing the inside of the front doors has been removed or cut up, and this can let water in and collect in the door foot wells and under the seats and carpet. Remove the panels and replace or tape it back on.

Last, Bus Depot sells a cover: http://www.busdepot.com/a0273 I have no experience with this one, but I use a cover on my MGB, and they are breathable but keep the water out. They work well up here, and this is your easiest solution and will also keep the moss off the roof!

You can clean mold off the fuzz on the top with a commercial mold cleaner, but use painter's plastic to cover EVERYTHING in the van, being especially careful to cover the canvas and seats since they usually contain bleach. Then use a home upholstery vacuum type cleaner to finish it off.

Then the key is to soak the clean top with an organic mold retardant. I use this one and have no more mold: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Concrobium-32-oz-Mold-Control-025326/100654126 I sprayed most of a quart on mine and let it dry.

Stuart In Mossback country