Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:16:47 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Re-introduction & Dash Removal Question
Comments: To: Nathan Wood <dart330@gmail.com>

I have been on this list for at least 10 years and this is the first I have heard about relocating the power window switches. I am not sure why someone would want to do this unless it is to make use of some replacement switches that would not fit in the doors.

When the original switches no longer make contact reliably, it is possible to pop them open and clean and polish the contacts. It is rather difficult, however, to keep the small parts in place while you pop them back together. If a switch doesn't feel like it is clicking properly, it just doesn't "push", it's because the little rocking contact in there has jumped out of place.

Jettas of the same vintage with power windows have a nearly identical which can be used in a vanagon. The wires from your original switch will need to be soldered on tho, because the plug that the Jettas use projects too far into the door and gets hit by the window when it comes down. BTDT :-) Of course Jetta switches from a junkyard may also be worn out. Bring an ohmmeter.

Recently when I needed a switch for an '87 Wolfsburg I am working on, I could not seem to repair any of the old ones I had. I thought that someone on the subaruvanagon list had once mentioned using Subaru switches so I got one out of the junk '91 Legacy that had donated the current engine for my '91 GL. After a lot of Bentley study and quality time with a continuity tester, I found that the Subie switch was the same electrically as the Vanagon one. After some soldering, Dremel carving, and J B welding it is now fastened to the bezel (eustachian?) in the passenger door and works fine. What fun.

Larry A.