Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Feb 2014 18:28:54 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mann Oil Filter and lifters Was:Engine Starting Problem
Comments: To: Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET>

I don't buy that one either, I've used the Mann filter for 250,000 miles and have always had this issue. It's a chronic Vanagon problem engineered in at the factory as far as I can tell. One rebuilt engine with new lifters and cam I had once did it from day one.

What you are hearing is caused by the lifter internal oil leaking down, shortening the distance between the top the cam lobe to the normally open valve that is now closed. It's effectively setting your valve lash to the same distance as the cam lift.

When you fire it up, the lifter is kicked violently off the cam lobe since there is no valve spring pressure on it, and is thrown into the pushrod, which then hits the rocker arm, which then hits the valve stem, all of which makes a very loud tapping sound.

It's not great for anything, so the best thing is to drive off and stay in a lower than normal gear to keep the revs up and pump it back up. Keeping the revs up around 3000 rpm maximizes the oil pressure and lets the lifter "float" and not hit the cam as hard until it eventually pumps up. You'll see it's less noisy at high rpm for this reason.

My old '85 can take up to 15 minutes on the freeway to pump up. At least it's only one lifter that leaks down, so it doesn't happen all the time, only when that lifter is at the top of the cam on shutdown. If I wanted to prevent it, I could rotate the engine to the timing mark where it's not on the open valve when I park it for a long time. Yeah, right, I might learn to play the piano too someday.

Stuart