Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Mar 2014 18:45:27 -0800
From:         "SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Residual Fuel Pressure: hold for 1 hour?
Comments: To: Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Do you normally start the van by turning the key to *ON* ( not start ).. then listen for the fuel pump to run, aand then shut off...before turning key to 'start' ??

I ALWAYS do ...warm or cold. it's fun. it's never actually correct to turn the key straight to 'start' .. one is suppossed to confirm warning lights are working ( during which time the fuel pump pre-runs ) *before* turning the key to start. see Owner's Manual.

I think you are chasing a mostly non-problem.

There isn't something that needs rust restoration or treatment on your van ?

On 3/3/2014 5:49 PM, Neil N wrote: > So I'm running residual pressure tests with a fuel gauge installed. > > The system holds pressure for 10 minutes then very slowly drops. After > about 45 minutes, at 20 PSI, I bled off pressure at gauge. Using FP > relay bypass switch, if I turn the fuel pump on for 2 - 3 seconds then > off, system pressurizes to ~ 40 PSI but then pressure rapidly drops to > 0 in less than 5 seconds. Clamping supply hose stems this pressure > loss. I assume this is being caused by the check valve in the pump > > I doubt it but.... does the check valve in the Vanagon Bosch fuel pump > require pressure to be maintained for a certain period of time before > the check valve is actuated? And, if the pressure drops too far for > engine to start easily, and the pump (normally) only primes for one > second, in my case, it seems the check valve isn't able to keep > pressure. > > > > On 3/2/14, Neil N <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >> Right, ok. I should mention now that this is in regards to a Jetta 2.0 >> in my Vanagon. A3 Bentley says to clamp the fuel return hose. If >> pressure holds, regulator is at fault. If pressure drops, pump check >> valve at fault. > > -- > Neil n > > Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca > > '88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p > > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group: > > http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej >