Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Mar 2014 09:40:34 -0800
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Was: Residual Fuel Pressure... Now: Dirt PIC
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>

Hi Stuart. Very good point. A check valve seal may be at fault.

As you know, it's hidden up there in the wheel well, with all the dirt. ;) All other seals, hoses etc. are in good shape as I resealed the tank not that long ago.

NOT saying this is the same part, but the VC tank has a similar or same marking on it as the tank I installed: http://tinyurl.com/mbw2nmc My amateur skills aside, (aligning the large type filler neck is a small pita), the filler neck hole in my tank didn't exactly line up with the hole in frame which, in part, caused a leak at the filler pipe to tank grommet. Images:

before filler neck re-align http://tinyurl.com/lxvqzp3 after http://tinyurl.com/mu7ll6h not a great shot, but kind of shows poor tank to frame hole alignment http://tinyurl.com/l2ngelr

I replaced that grommet and re-aligned the filler pipe parts. It hasn't leaked since.

Really appreciate the suggestion of check valve seals. I wondered of the evap system but that may be the weak link.

Neil.

On 3/5/14, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote:

>..... check the two vent tanks in the > wheel wells. The check valve seal can soften and fail, and the tanks can > crack.

> .... Frankly, given all the junk in your tank, for the price of > $175 I'd replace it: > http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1178_1457/fuel-gas-tank.html

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej