Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Mar 2014 23:19:04 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto transmission questions
Comments: To: Aaron <a.robinson.lists@GMAIL.COM>

At this age and mileage you have to plan on every system will need attention. The engine and transmission is at an end of life point and so are many of the support systems. If your plan is for a daily driver for your wife she will still need another vehicle to cover for when this one is down. ATF leaks only occur in one of four places. The governor seal is a common one where the ATF is in the differential housing. If leaking at the torque converter you probably need the bushing. Leaking from here can have ATF sprayed all over the engine bay causing a fire hazard . It also will ruin hoses and if getting on the head gaskets over time will kill them also. If the tranny has had repeated bought of running dry due to the leaks a rebuild may also require pump replacement. The may also be damage from the clutches and band slipping. Your symptom #2 is a sign that damage is already beginning.

If you not willing to begin in investing on a regular basis don't bother. This will become a $10k van doing the work yourself. $15 if all is outsourced.

Dennis