Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Mar 2014 10:03:54 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] i went to alaska and for got my bus - no not
              really - but somebody did
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>
Comments: cc: Wetwesties <Wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Ah, the memories. I was there a lot over the years, trying not to step on the watchdog’s leavings. And, I bought a couple of used vans from them. One of my strongest memories is of them parting out two brand new Vanagons that were damaged when they shifted on the carrier. They could have been repaired, but VW did not want them sold with a salvage title, so off they went to the yard.

First they added a Saab dealership and now it’s Nissan. I’ve been to the Arlington yard a couple of times, but they rarely get Vanagons anymore, which is good in a way. We lost another big VW yard, Bry’s in Seattle, a few years ago when he was shut down by the state revenue department in a sting operation. I got a lot of stuff there including a $400 2.1 engine I had rebuilt.

You guys in the south and east are lucky. There is nothing left here in the Northwest, I have to get everything from our vendors and the occasional Craigslist guy parting one out. I guess most are still on the road, which is also a good thing!

Stuart

From: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com [mailto:wetwesties@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Loren Busch Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 9:24 AM To: Roger Whittaker Cc: Vanagon; Wetwesties Subject: Re: [WetWesties] i went to alaska and for got my bus - no not really - but somebody did

RE: Bone Yards

For many years Campbel-Nelson, the VW dealer in the Shoreline area (just north of Seattle) had their bone yard in the back of the dealership/shop area. Traditional setup. Go to the counter, tell them you needed lets say a knob for the heater fan switch for a Vanagon, they went to the bins, brought out a box of knobs and switches, dumped them on the counter and said "Go ahead, find the one you need". When I needed a rear heater core for my '85 off I was lead to the lot, their mechanic with tools in hand. But now all gone, moved to Arlington, about an hour or more north up I-5. And since I don't do my own work anymore I have never even been there. What happened to the space that opened up when the bone yard left? They added a Nissan dealership next to the VW dealership.

<mailto:starwagen@gmail.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5BWetWesties%5D%20i%20went%20to%20alaska%20and%20for%20got%20my%20bus%20-%20no%20not%20really%20-%20but%20somebody%20did> Reply to sender

<mailto:wetwesties@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5BWetWesties%5D%20i%20went%20to%20alaska%20and%20for%20got%20my%20bus%20-%20no%20not%20really%20-%20but%20somebody%20did> Reply to group

PICTURES! http://picasaweb.google.com/wetwesties/

Calendar of events: http://www.wetwesties.org/calendar

For technical resources: http://www.wetwesties.org/links.htm

Please conserve bandwidth and clip quoted material in your posts. Include only the information that is relevant to your response.