Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Mar 2014 13:53:19 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Frydae - For VW Oldtimers

The ones I have seen around here have been in poor condition and way overpriced. I don't think I have ever seen a really good body on one in the last few years, even here in the south where they don't use salt on the roads. I liked them when they came out, you could get a used one pretty cheap but they needed a lot more ability out of the mechanics (two carbs, everything in the wrong place) who were used to working on bugs.

I think they are rare mainly because for what VW was charging for them, buyers could have a BMW instead. They were very expensive, and the rest of the world had moved on to better mileage, front engines, etc.

My father-in-law had a 67 or so notchback and it was one of the best cars I ever drove. He may have gotten it as one of the many odd cars that soldiers brought home here. I didn't have to do the maintenance or take care of it, so I don't know about that part.