Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Mar 2014 19:10:48 -0800
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Front wheel bearings
Comments: To: TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>

If in ANY doubt.....replace them.  When front wheel bearings go, so do quickly front spindles if you can't get to repair quickly (VERY expensive and maybe even hard to find, even used) and also front brakes (the whole deal there, in which case it's best to replace BOTH sides so that they work evenly and not pull to one side or another).  Shoot....front wheel bearings on mine went out at 185,000 miles....I "guess" they got lubed when front brakes were worked on....maybe not, never really paid attention.  I was on a road trip across the USA and only 1000 miles out of home; took a flat bed tow truck to get me to mechanic; I was super happy that the whole mess only cost me $800 (with $100 USED spindle instead of $400 NEW spindle) from an honest Vanagon List mechanic and a night in a motel and a day's delay. Anyway...If I were you and in doubt...replace them; they don't last forever.  If you've lubed them regularly, then you are probably OK.  But, if you can't honestly know when they were last lubed, better BY FAR to error on the conservative side.  My opinion. NOW, I make sure the front wheel bearings get all lubed up at 25K miles intervals; again, it's those SUPER EXPENSIVE spindles that are the problem.  Bearings, seals, etc. are pretty cheap....but NOT those spindles!!! Rich San Diego ________________________________ From: TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, March 7, 2014 6:00 PM Subject: Front wheel bearings If they're not making noise does it really matter how old they are? Really?  A visual would be best but don't you think that it they were bad or getting bad, that you'd hear it sooner or later?  Reason I ask is I have a spare set (new) and wondering why I keep them.  Not like preemptively replacing hoses or a fuel pump after twenty years or fuel injector hoses after 10 years just to be safe.  I'm thinking they're either good and they haven't gone bad (won't likely for a while) or they're bad now and you'd know for sure.  Along the same audible hint you get when a CV is bad. Thoughts? Thanks, TJ