Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Mar 2014 19:13:54 -0700
From:         Cunegonde <cunegonde.van.westfalia@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Paint Questions - Wheels

Get 15" for offroad, or 16" for street, tires.

Cunegonde has 15" alloy Audi A4 wagon rims and Geolandar tires (PO had updated to HD springs). I wanted 15" or 16" x 8" steelies with correct offset but couldn't find them at a reasonable price.

Much improved handling and safety, and the alloys update the look a bit. Financially will break even on 3rd set of tires - we should have Cunegonde so long!

Pluses: Paid $50 on CL for 5 rims Affordable, easily sourced SUV tires in correct load ratings (about $70 each on sale) 75% increase in road contact area Perfectly controlled cornering and high wind driving, can now park heading uphill and drive forward to leave With moderate offroad sidewall proportions, added 1.5" ground clearance while allowing full front wheel turning Adds to cool matchbox toy car look

Minuses: Required machining center hub opening to fit front grease cap ($50 at NAPA) Required spacers and special bolts/studs for correct offset (about $125) Required modified spare tire carrier tray to accomodate 4" wider tire 15" alloys plus new tires about 8lbs heavier each than stock, so more stress on suspension and steering New tires stickier on dry pavement than brakes can hold; had to rebuild parking brakes, front big brake kit a necessity Center caps no longer fasten with stock circular spring inside grooved center hub opening; currently using wires and rare earth magnets plus silicone sealant Center caps have molded Audi logo grooves