Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:57:27 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Electric: Where should +12V to camping fusebox and relay
              originate?
Comments: To: Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@yahoo.ca>

Sorry. I made assumptions. (one being fuse panel type. Thanks Scott)

30 buss is the DC circuit in the Vanagon that receives constant battery power or power from alternator while engine running. 30 buss is also known as "B+" or "Battery +" as shown in relevant Bentley camper diagram.

So. On a Vanagon Westfalia, if wiring has not been changed, DC powered camping appliances take + from the 30 circuit. Exception: on DC mode, the fridge runs only when the engine is running so it takes power from the alternator.

I had my Dometic wired so I could run it in DC mode, engine off. This worked for me but yes. One had to be careful not to leave it on too long, engine off.

If it were me....

I'd disconnect all batteries, solar power, then start checking wire continuity between the end of each wire in the battery aux. box and where I suspected the other end of the wire terminated.

The DC + power wire to camping appliances should terminate at the 30 buss in fuse panel. 30 buss in the fuse panel is located at what some call the "backside" of the fuses. This power is NOT fused. The backside of some fuses use a solid piece of brass or red jumper wire to "hard wire" the backside of one fuse to the backside of another. The fuse is basically irrelevant in this case as this is simply an extension of the 30 buss from location to another. I'll take a picture of an '85 fuse box and post it. ......

Some quick pictures of an '85 and early '80's Vanagon fuse panel. Hope that helps.

https://picasaweb.google.com/musomuso/VanagonFusePanel

I know it's a challenge to learn how to read the Bentley diagrams but it's needed if you're going to do this kind of work. :)

Neil.

On 3/11/14, Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@yahoo.ca> wrote: > > > > > > On Sunday, March 9, 2014 4:25:39 PM, Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > >> In the OEM configuration, + power to the camper appliances/lights >> should connect to the 30 buss. (B+) > > I looked behind the main fuse panel, but could not find any numbers. (It is > the older ceramic style fuses) > > I'm guessing that it is one of the 4 or so thicker red wires in the middle. > (Connection number 7 and 8 counted from the drivers side door). > > Is there a good overview post or web page of the relays and fuses do? (I > find the detailed diagrams in Bentley to be confusing) > > ..... This means the fridge stays on also > when the motor is off. Perhaps convenient for short stops, but unfortunate > if one forgets to turn it off for the night. > > .... I could try to move > the cabin light, but don;t know how easy it would be to find its wire. Still > would not be much reason for the aux batt.

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej