Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:35:12 -0700
From:         "SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tool choice and source
Comments: To: TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>

I'm suprised more members have not cut up a steel wheel .. like around the middle... then weld a solid, fat, even box section, 2 foot arm on there.. and you've got the perfect 'wheel holder' .

I made mine about 28 yrs ago ..works perfect on Vanagon and mercedes benz's.

3/4 inch breaker bar..the kind with the sliding piece is perfect.. I paid like $ 24 for mine, including now sales tax some 40 yrs ago.. still workin' fine. I cheat though ..I lubricate things. that plus a 3ish foot cheater bar....works nicely.

On 3/11/2014 8:19 PM, TJ Hemrick wrote: > All, > While updating my wheels, I needed a special tool and thought I'd pass > this on to everyone if they need it. > > I have a pretty thorough tool box but, the other day, I found I needed > something new (again). While removing the rear drums (can't wait to pitch > those things for some discs one day), I have this: > <http://tinyurl.com/m8osucw> in both 46 mm and 36 mm sizes for hammering > off the rear axle nuts on various VW's. Great you say. Well, after > updating my rims to Audi rims, I needed longer studs. While only 10 mm > longer, they were more than long enough for the rims but suddenly, I could > barely angle the tool to even halfway tighten it. Putting it on square was > totally out of the question. The new (longer) studs were in the way. Oh, > I need a 46 mm *socket*. I have a 36 mm socket but not 46. So, in > disgust, I close up the operation and head home. I hit the internet and > find a variety of local places that might have them. FLAPS, Autozone, > Advance Auto, even Harbor Freight. No luck. BTW, the SAE size is very > very close to 1 13/16. I hit the user groups and find that BMW E46's use > the same size as do Ducati motorcycles. Yes, the internet rules. None of > the groups gave me the answer but I found a variety of sockets from the mid > $30's and all the way into the hundreds. Yes, hundreds. Now, this is an > extreme example but according to the *description*, it's a 1 1/2" drive. < > http://tinyurl.com/pwluagm> I've never used any drive bigger than 1" so > that was a shocker. But wait, the real shocker is it only costs $398.21! > OK, so it's specialty item. Anyway.... > I found this at Tractor Supply <http://tinyurl.com/lol6z9p> It's actually > pretty nice. Seems rugged without being overly large or thick. Best of > all, it's $9.99. Seems like a deal. Paired with the 3/4" breaker bar from > Harbor Freight ($23) and it went very well tightening those rear axle nuts. > I used a little math to use my weight plus the length of the bar to come > up with the proper torque value and then did the "bounce" to line up the > cotter key. I will post an update IF it gives out when trying to take the > nuts off with an impact wrench. That's the real test. I will say that my > rims (again, Audi rims) do NOT allow it (the socket) to be used with the > wheel mounted on the drum/hub, but the Audi rims have a very tight fit > around the center so I can't see any socket worth that type of torque range > being that thin. Maybe for a price but for something used so seldom, I > didn't bother looking. I just have to use a special tool to hold the hub > still. Note to self, replacement studs are NOT capable of staying straight > if you try to jam a long breaker bar in between a few studs and brace it on > the pavement. Yes, you can tighten the hub nut but the studs will splay. > I'm just saying... > > TJ > 87 Syncro >