Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Mar 2014 01:38:47 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Paint questions
Comments: To: Ralph Meyermann <ralphmeyermann@GMAIL.COM>

Years ago I took a set of stock alloys and painted the center spokes black (with automotive paint, not rattle can) and left the outer lip metallic silver, and of course, the center caps silver. Those rims got a LOT of attention/compliments. Jeff Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > Definitely alloys!! Originally had steelies but got 14" alloys and now > getting 15" alloys from go westy nice looking! > On Mar 7, 2014 1:28 PM, "Craig Cowan" <phishman068@gmail.com> wrote: > > Alloys make any van look sharp and stand out. Vanagon 14" alloys fit > > every > > van perfectly and add a bit of a modern touch, and they are > > available if > > you look for them. > > More modern, 15", 16", or larger alloys, particularly off an Audi or > > a > > later vw are my preference, as they tie in a modern piece people > > recognize > > and can really look awesome! I also am particularly more fond of the > > handling characteristics of a larger wheel and lower profile tire, > > though > > that is its own debate, as is proper tire selection, size, and "what > > wheels > > fit". > > > > Enjoy! > > > > -craig > > > > > On Mar 7, 2014, at 12:47 PM, Stephen Engel <sengel543@YAHOO.COM> > > > wrote: > > > > > > Hi Eric, > > > > > > I bought my 87 Syncro GL with black steel wheels and chrome > > > hubcaps. I > > ditched the hubcaps mainly because they are easily lost or stolen > > and they > > are worth a few deutsch mark. I painted the wheels silver and the > > bolts > > black. It looks pretty good in my opinion although the bolts need > > frequent > > touch up. I forget what year your van is, but if you still have your > > other > > chrome bits I think silver wheels tie in nicely with the chrome. > > > > > > When you show up at the next camping event you can let the kiddies > > > have > > a go at your wheels or even the rest of the van for that matter! > > > > > > Steve > > > -------------------------------------------- > > > On Thu, 3/6/14, Eric Caron <ecaron1@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > > > > > > Subject: Paint questions > > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > > Date: Thursday, March 6, 2014, 8:28 PM > > > > > > Hi Listers, > > > > > > > > > I will have my van painted either this year or in one > > > year. I'm still deciding. I'm leading toward this year > > > as the painter still has time for me. > > > > > > > > > So, I've stirred up some paint questions for you > > > folks. Remember, my questions are unlike others in > > > that not only do I not have a lot of paint knowledge, but > > > being blind I'm counting on the list for artistic > > > suggestions and tasteful ideas as well as practical > > > advice. > > > > > > Here is my first paint question. > > > > > > I'm keeping my original steel wheels and plan to use the > > > chrome hub caps. The painter has offered to paint the > > > wheels silver rather then the black they are now. > > > > > > So, What color looks best on a white Vanagon with chrome > > > hubcaps and steel wheels? > > > > > > Currently wheels are rust free. > > > > > > Help me out here. I don't want to make a fashion > > > blunder. > > > > > > It might help if you can tell me what the original bus wheel > > > color is. I'm guessing metal silver but have to ask to > > > be sure! > > > > > > More critical paint questions to follow. > > > > > > > > > Eric Caron > > > 85 GL Auto Westfalia > >