Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Mar 2014 17:36:41 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shocks test
Comments: To: TonyCollin <tonycollin@GMAIL.COM>

No reason to overcomplicate this, but it's worth having an infrared temp tool anyway! If you have a cat, it does double duty as a cat toy.

Bounce each corner and it should go down, up, and slightly back down to normal height.

Some dive is normal. To minimize this you can go to harder gas pressurized shocks or stiffer springs, but the ride will be harsher since the van is so light in front.

I've tried Bilstein, OEM Boge, and Gabriel over the years, and now run Monroe Gas Magnums, a stiff and affordable option. Check www.rockauto.com, $36 front, $25 rear, or get them from your FLAPS.

Stuart

-----Original Message-----] On Behalf Of TonyCollin

Hello list Maybe this is a stupid question but how do you check the shocks?

I know mine are really old. the back (iirc) are Gabriel brand ones, can not recall the front.

If I stop really hard, I get incredible nose dive. The rebound is not bad. Maybe half a bounce to settle back but the travel seems much.

I think the back is soft but I can not tell like you would in a smaller vehicle. Meaning there is much to push back there the measure rebound.

I like to bring the stance of the van's huge wheel gap provided by the 85 gl springs a little closer to earth with carat springs and other shocks.

How do others test for appropriate shock function?

Thanks T. =