Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Mar 2014 02:12:46 -0600
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil Leak
Comments: To: "SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss )" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

In public health the fluorescene dye powder was used to track where hands go. During a food service lecture once a plate lightly dusted with powder was passed around. Dye was not obvious, and nobody was told. At the end of the lecture on food sanitation, a black light was used to track where a person had put their hands during the lecture. The frequency of face and crotch contact was astonishing.

John

On 3/7/2014 4:11 PM, SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss ) wrote: > I suspect many vanagon owners do not know about this very, VERY standard > test ..usually done by fancy shops. > It's been around well over 10 years. > the fluorescent die test . > > I'm sure the additive is harmenss unless you are running a 900 hp racing > engine that does 14,000 rpm .. > otherwise.. > it ain't gonna hurt nothin'. > > I've been reading about such tests and technologies in professional > Automotive Trade magazines.. > which are free subscriptions actually. > > heck ..just read online .,...Import Car is one .. > there are lots of them ..just google 'automotive repair trade magazines. > > AND .THERE IS ANOTHER METHOD AT LEAST AS EFFECTIVE AND 40 TIMES CHEAPER. > > spray fine baby power, foot power, talcum all over the engine .. > just as if you were driving in heavy dry dust.. > oil leaks stand out glaringly. > > think outside the box. > Do you know John.. > the famous 'think outside the box' test /quiz ? > > for those who don't know ... > draw a box with 9 dots, like this > . . . > . . . > . . . > > The quiz is to connect all those dots using only 4 straight lines. ( I > think it's 4 ) .. > you can google it I'm sure, this famous quiz/test. > > the solution lies in 'thinking outside the box.' > > > > > On 3/7/2014 1:54 PM, JRodgers wrote: >> The oil leak continues - but I did get the coolant leak stopped. >> Replaced a small hose. >> >> The oil leak is another matter. My 88 GL is in the shop right now up na >> a rack getting a good look over. The mechanic says the top side is dry >> ans a bone, but the bottom is washed clean with leaking oil - and it's >> not obvious where the leak is. Recommended washing it up,n removing >> exterior oil and grease and adding a dye to the oil and running it a day >> or so - then taking another look with a black light or something. >> >> Anyone ever hear of chasing an oil leak this way. I'm funny about oil >> additives. >> >> >> Thanks, >> >> John >> >