Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Mar 2014 18:07:44 -0400
From:         James <jk_eaton@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '93 Eurovan auto to manual
Comments: To: "SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss )" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Forward to back VW transmissions, instead of side to side, makes me think of Audis, and the VW Fox (Brazilian built VW Gol, imported 1987-1993). But Audi never used the VR6, IIRC; and I don't know if any of those transmissions would be useful. James Ottawa, ON > Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 11:52:39 -0800 > From: scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM > Subject: Re: '93 Eurovan auto to manual > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > because the transmission may not be very related, but engine yes. > > Manual trans Eurvoan is a good thing. I have one. ..good thing 'for a > Eurovan' that is. > > I don't think there are any 'car' VW transmissions that are the same as, > or fit in, VW Vans and bigger vehicles. > For years a few people have thought > Rabbit transmissions could somehow be the same as or related to Vanagon > transmissions ...no way at all. > I would suspect the same in Eurovans.. > even given that they are both sideways front engine FWD vehicles. > > talk to Justin of Greaseworks.. > since he does TDI EV engine conversions.. > he is all over what transmissions...rebuilding them, changing gear > ratios etc. are right for Eurovans. > > > On 3/7/2014 11:40 AM, Project Pat wrote: > > The EV has a transverse mounted engine. VR6 came from the factory. Why > > wouldn't a VR6 Golf/Jetta transmission work? > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > > Theodore Hoekman > > Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 1:12 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: '93 Eurovan auto to manual > > > > Yes that information which is available on ev_update and Go Westy as well as > > on VW-vortex convinced me to do the manual transplant when we acquired the > > EVC with a broken auto trans. The 5 speed may be vulnerable, but it can be > > repaired/rebuilt for a lot less money and then has a better prognosis for > > life afterward if you treat it civilly. > > > > Ted > >