Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Mar 2014 21:39:50 -0700
From:         "SDF ( Scott Daniel Foss )" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hmm.  It won't budge
Comments: To: zmaninco@YAHOO.COM

if it's a diesel engine .... and it's a too long input shaft ( like a waterboxer input shaft ) . you don't want to know what can happen if you just insist on cranking down on the bolts until the engine meets the bell housing face. it's not pretty . I did save that 1.6 TD block though ..that particular engine had 3 near death experiences, but kept going a good long time. lol...badly cracked block ( very successfully welded ) ....a 'terminal sounding knock' for no reason, that was gone the next morning and never returned ..and an engine fire due to Pos Batt cable rubbing against oil filter.

On 3/15/2014 9:23 PM, Zoran Mladen wrote: > Is it a diesel? The diesel input shaft is shorter. If you use the regular input shaft it will bind the engine. It is a straight forward fix if this is the case. Pull the tranny...grind down the input shaft about 10mm....reinstall. > > Z > > Sent from my iPad > >> On Mar 15, 2014, at 19:47, thewestyman <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET> wrote: >> >> Yes, it's a different transmission. I will loosen the bolts and nut to see >> if it moves, tomorrow. >> And yes, I did clean and reconnect the ground strap. >> Zoltan >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Project Pat >> Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:49 PM >> To: 'thewestyman' ; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: RE: Hmm. It won't budge >> >> You changed the transmission, as in a different transmission? >> Loosen the bell housing bolts and try to turn it again. >> >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >> thewestyman >> Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2014 8:40 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Hmm. It won't budge >> >> I just changed the transmission and the cv shafts, serviced the clutch, new >> pilot bearing, etc. >> Wanted to start, it would not turn over. I thought, it's the battery. Not. >> >> Went to see if the engine turns by hand and it would not move. >> The clutch works fine, the starter clicks but can't turn the engine. >> >> I can't imagine what causes it. >> >> Anyone has an idea? >> >> Zoltan