Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Mar 2014 19:47:15 -0400
From:         Mike B <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Talking about Vanagon prices

I'm so excited! I just got my own '87 Westy running again. I took on a 12 mile shakedown trip to clear out the cobwebs and let things settle and normalize. I had to pull over and top off the coolant reservoir and checked all the fluid levels while i was at it. All went well, no leaks anywhere, the heat works great, and it runs like a top. This Saturday I'm getting it on a lift at my friend's garage, so that I can replace the right upper ball-joint and the right parking brake cable. This will allow me to pass inspection and get rid of the R (reject) failed inspection sticker that I got last fall, just before the left side head gasket went. I did that work and then had another leak, so I just parked it for the winter, promising to get back into it as soon as all the snow melted away. I just replaced the left door step panel that had some rust holes and was listed as an inspection failure item. Those replacement repair panels are close (but not close enough to fit very well!), but that's all done now and looks decent, except for the non-matching color. Does anyone have a non-rusted donor body to cut out some repair panels for me? I love driving my Vanagon and I really missed it. Now that it's back in service, I'm very happy!

Mike B.

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 22:10:39 -0500 From: Abel Longoria <houstonphotog@GMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: Talking about Vanagon prices

I'm new to the Vanagon scene.. I bought my 87 Westy last July and paid 18k... A comparable Syncro was about 10k more. Ouch. Stuck with the 2wd...fortunately mine had a ton invested in it so even at 18k I think I got a steal. What's funny is I paid more for my 27 year old Westy than I did for my 2012 Mazda 3 brand new off the lot... Lol. It kills me when I think about it in those terms... Lol

Abel.