Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:46:36 -0700
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Was: Tires and Wheels - The best laid plans of Mice and
              Men.....Off Road Poseurs..

There are some ocean beaches in Washington and Oregon that allow driving (I try to avoid them), and 90% of the vehicles there are four or all-wheel drive, and for good reason. Getting off and on the hard-packed beach though the soft sand crossing can be challenging.

I guess that's off-road, but in Oregon the beaches are part of the state highway system, a historical artifact from the days when coastal transportation was by horse & buggy on the beach. That's actually a good thing, because it resulted in the creation of a lot of state parks on the beaches!

Highway 101 and all its bridges weren't completed until the 1930's.

Stuart