Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Mar 2014 12:56:40 -0400
From:         TJ Hemrick <x53gunner@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Intermittent hard starting

All, I've been running well for a few weeks now. I've been running her hard also. NLT 2.5 highway hours a day for 5 days a week and did two 5+ hour highway trips on the past two weekends. Two days a week (school) I'm adding another hour on top and some days, another two if I have to take someone to the airport so some days, I've hit 4.5 to 5,5 hours on the beast. Gas mileage is horrible but it's been running well otherwise. New fuel pump, new fuel system (hoses, clamps, cleaned out the tank, filter), great starter, new distributor cap, and redid ALL the grounds.

Day 1: I made a 20 minute trip, shutdown for less than 10 minutes, hard starting on key turn. Was spinning over like crazy but that's it. Didn't smell excess fuel but after a few tries, I thought maybe I was out of gas (gauge still broken). I shouldn't have been empty, but not taking a chance, I broke out the spare gas container and topped off 2 gallons. Jumped in and it started up fairly easy (similar to when the pump has to prime). On my way and never thought twice. I did wonder however, why, as I was not low on gas and knew I shouldn't have been (without a fuel gauge you get to know your time/distances you can drive pretty tightly).

Day 2: I drove 25 minutes or so, shutdown, was in a store for less than 10 minutes and started fine. Drove 5 more minutes to another store, sat for 30-45 minutes and had the same hard starting issues. Engine rotation but that's it. Didn't have a helper in either case so no chance to investigate the engine more closely.

Day 3 Started up this morning (cold start) immediately (1 or 1.5 times engine rotation). Let it idle for 15 minutes, shutdown, restarted just fine. Let it rest 20 minutes and it started right up like normal. Let it rest 2 hours and it started right up again.

Day 4 Started up this morning just as always. Drove 20 minutes, shut down (accidently). 5 minute break, went to restart and it took over 3 minutes. Various modes of priming the pump with the key only to till the light came on but not engaging the starter did not help. I *thought* I detected a "cough" right at the initial rotation sequence so I started to do short bursts of the key and then off again followed by re-engaging the starter almost immediately. Can't say 100% it helped but I did managed to get it started.

Day 5. The ONLY constant I can find is that pure cold starts are normal. Why or how the intermittent nature of the issue with no regard to how long I've been running or how hot the engine is, is killing me. Anyone have any ideas?

It's an 87 Wolfsburg, Automatic, 2.1, bone stock.

Thanks,

TJ