Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Mar 2014 14:47:30 -0700
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires and Wheels - The best laid plans of Mice and Men.....
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

Maddening, ain't it?  One of the Samba guys posted today about having found a great deal on a set of 16" Mercedes CLK wheels but before he could get the new 16" tires one of his 14" fronts blew out (spectacularly, by the looks of the photo) and he got two new 14" fronts, so his ultra-cool 16s are on hold for now. I also recently bought CLKs but they are stashed in the garage.  I dare not approach the wife with the line, "Hey, Baby, I just thought I'd replace the still-good tires on the camper with costly new ones installed on those cool wheels."  Sure to be a big hit and smart husbands know better. Stephen On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 4:41 PM, JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM> wrote: Well, I've been planning an upgrade to 15 or 16 inch wheels and tires for my Carat restoration - but my main priority is getting the thing on the road - not so much having the bigger wheels ad tires - but I was going to go for it - in part because it's getting to be a hassle to get the 14 inch tires in my area without having to ship them in, paying freight in addittion the tires, and ultimately having to pay someone $20 or so to mount each one. Well - yesterday I learned I could still get my fav tire - the General Altimax RT 98C in a 205-70/R14. So, I opted to get one more set and wait until the next round of tires to upgrade to a larger size. Given I'm dropping a bundle to get the engine and tranny working, plus some other stuff, I ordered the tires. I just picked them up. Installed, mounted and balanced -total cost of a set of 5 (4 on the road and one spare) included - taxes and all - $430.00. or $81/ea, I could not beat that with a stick anywhere. Hip! Hip! Huzzah!!  Dennis Haynes for putting me onto the General Altimax in the first place!! And one more thing about Dennis! I have a Dennis Haynes receiver hitch on my '88 GL - and that thing makes one heck of a fine jacking point for getting the rear end up off the ground with one Jack. Careful there Dennis - let;s not get the bighead over this. But seriously  - it worked great for that purpose. Happy Motoring Everyone, John