Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:08:04 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Another winter's sojourn without any drama....
Comments: To: "Vanagons and VW Buses (Bays) with VW inline gas engines"
          <vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines@googlegroups.com>

Just now rolled in home (about 70mi east of Portland, Or on the Columbia River) from almost 3 months in the desert southwest. I put about 3800 miles on my 84 tintop (with westie kitchen) It's been running with an ABA Jetta hybrid inline gas 2.0/1.8 liter ....second similar trip on this motor in this configuration. This return trip, I hit very strong headwinds coming north on 395 through the eastern Sierras and I was loaded at 4900lbs of vehicle weight,(Oregon conveniently leaves it's ODOT scales turned on all the time...I found one near Lakeveiw and weighed my loaded van) so I was happy for my 5 speed tranny. I was even forced to use 3rd gear a few times on two of the passes, with above 8000' of elevation...a first for this van... mostly this time, it was the "perfect storm" of a big load, steep long passes, fierce winds and very high altitudes.... normally I can pull those same roads in 5th and 4th only at about 55mph, but a few gusts blasted me down to speeds below where I like to see my motor running, trying to hold speed with full throttle, so I hit 3rd and actually slowed up to 45 a few times...I averaged about 22mpg over the winter.

No mechanical issues, though my fuel pump has gotten loud enough these last few weeks that I did remember dig out my spare pump and fuel filter before I bedded down last night (in a parking area behind the Napa store in Alturas, California) just in case.... I thought I might actually have to swap it in before I made home today, but it just buzzed and hummed away and got me here, no problemo.

The cheap-o eastern tires, 205 70r 14s, that I bought (budget vs safety issues) just before leaving the desert, were very good indeed, feeling much like the Hankooks they are said to be copys of, especially given the exceedingly gusty winds I encountered, as well as winter-ravaged roads that are pretty neglected in some areas..I am going to get two more of them (Goform G520 from Tires-easy.com) to run this summer to save the expensive Nokians I have on the rear for slick conditions...I also replaced my very pitted and cracked windshield this winter and that was a huge improvement, since I normally like to drive late into the night, if I am heading somewhere I want to get to and it's cold out...

The cattle were calving in the outback range lands..., the hawks were in the trees and soaring the meadows.., the Sandhill cranes were whooping it up in the Lakes country and every volcanic peake from Jefferson to Baker was visible from one spot...all at once.... ....a beautiful drive for sure..

.Woke up this morning before dawn, with a full moon almost, in about 25f. I was comfy and snug in my down bag with my doggie cuddled up...Reached out and turned on the coffee without moving from bed......I get up and dress when the van is warm then I take my first cup up to the driver's seat and I put the pot in my center box with a towel or blanket around it...keeps it warm for the second cup...Gotta love Vanagon travel... Don Hanson