Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 2014 16:53:07 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fuel tank question...

Hi all, 84 van with inline motor...

Everything else is Vanagon stock...

My fuel pump has been getting noisier lately...over the last month or so. I finally got home to my tools and floor jacks so today I went after that looming problem...

I took my pump out and both my filters...I have one full flow Triumph motor cycle filter pre-pump and the standard large vangon can filter after... So I am going to run my fuel pump backwards on my bench to see what squirts out but in the mean time I put some compressed air into the outlet line from the tank...the supply to the pump..so I could clear the crud from my in-tank screen...I have done this one other time...

Here's the question: When I took the supply line from the tank to the pump off before I put the compressed air (50psi) backwards into the fuel tank, the gas flow out of the disconnected hose was very free-flowing....and now I get barely a dribble out when I unplug that hose...When I put the air into the hose, I took the gas cap off and I could hear the air going into the tank...lots of bubbling noises... I'm thinking I should see a free flow again from the hose that goes to the pump, the outlet from the gas tank....but it is only a little trickle....Is that the way it's supposed to be? Should I see a strong flow out of the unpluged line to the pump from the tank? The gas cap is still off, the van is raised a bit on the passenger side, there is appx 1/3 tank of fuel aboard...

What say the fuel tank experts.?