Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 2014 18:17:30 -0700
From:         Neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel tank question...
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

So since the problem is solved.....

Do all older style fuel tanks (those with larger fill OD pipe) have a screen on the pickup? I've seen images of cut open tanks showing a screen on pickup and return.

My newer Brazilian tank doesn't appear to have a screen unless one is built into the "dish" at bottom of tank?

Images looking inside the tank when new:

http://tinyurl.com/lnxzawk http://tinyurl.com/n5wdelg

On 3/24/14, Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com> wrote: > OK, Problem solved! > > Thanks Mark and no, Stuart, I didn't have to replace the tank. Blowing > the compressed air back into the fuel like from the tank cleared the screen > inside, now everything is good again. Fuel pump is super quiet again...It > did take a few starts to fill that vent loop from the tank back to the > pump. When I was seeing no flow, I did have the passenger side up on > jackstands, so that probably kept the tank outflow from siphioning over the > loop until I closed it back up and lowered the van back to level.... > > ...I didn't realize just how noisy that pump had become... > > My first 'crisis' in a long time with this van..... > > > > > On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Stuart MacMillan > <stuartmacm@gmail.com>wrote: > >> Not normal, it should flow right out. Sounds like a clogged pick up >> screen. >> >> >> Replacement was the only fix. >> >> Stuart >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf >> Of >> Don Hanson >> Sent: Monday, March 24, 2014 4:53 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Fuel tank question... >> >> Hi all, >> 84 van with inline motor... >> >> Everything else is Vanagon stock... >> >> My fuel pump has been getting noisier lately...over the last month or >> so. >> >> >> When I took the supply line from the tank to the >> pump off before I put the compressed air (50psi) backwards into the fuel >> tank, >> >> >

-- Neil n

Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca

'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group:

http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej