Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Mar 2014 20:50:17 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Roger Sisler Dometic Pics

Nice. I did a project a couple years ago that was aimed at keeping the heat away from the back surface of the refrigerator. I used an insulated wrap made for... I think starters. I did some cutting, wrapping and gluing with high temp silicon to customize it to fit the hot exhaust side of the propane burner circuit. Here are some photos I hope you'll be able to get to: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/111749110288126077879/albums/5661160958757768769?authkey=CPnJwM-kuNzGMg I also used reflectix type insulation all over the back of the fridge. (somewhere I have photos of that too.) This has probably made a bigger difference in fridge performance than anything else I have done. I took out the little fan I had installed inside the fridge because I don't think it was doing any good. I do not believe the problem is getting the cold out of the aluminum fins into the air, the problem is making enough cold! Taking the aluminum fins off the "cold pipe" cleaning both surfaces and making good contact between those two is probably next in line for making the most improvement in performance. I put a thin coat of thermal compound on the aluminum part and then put it in and took it back out a number of times to see where there was lack of contact. That gave me the info to know where to press to get them to mate up best. I added more thermal paste to fill any remaining gaps.

Edward

At 07:54 PM 3/25/2014, Neil N wrote: >Hi all. > >A recent Dometic fridge post reminded of this huge set of Dometic 182 images. > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/werksforwagens/sets/72157594499353583/ > >Seems a timely post given that people are unearthing their Westies for >the camping season. > >I found these images and comments to be quite helpful when cleaning, >fixing, modding my Dometics but as folks say, YMMV. > >Neil. > >-- >Neil n > >Blog: tubaneil.blogspot.ca > >'88 Westy http://tinyurl.com/c8rlw6p > >'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > >Vanagon VAG *Gas* inline-VR Engine Swap Group: > >http://tinyurl.com/d7gd5ej