Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Mar 2014 09:20:16 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: clutch chatter

I think you probably wore out the clutch....pretty common symptom of a worn clutch is that chattering.

Your recent back country trip with rough road and off-road driving, in a fully stocked and loaded Westie...that 'uses up' a clutch, especially in a Vanagon 4sp with what I understand is not an especially low 1st gear.

Have your mechanic do the complete job while he has it apart, and if you plan on doing more back country driving it might be worthwhile to get a heavy duty clutch for not much more in part$

One of the things I like about my diesel 5sp transmission is the low 1st gear. It is really pretty low, low enough that I don't often have to 'slip the clutch' to move slowly over rough terrain.... I can creep along at a few miles per hour without feathering the clutch and without the van bucking or threatening to stall on even the steepest hill.

When I did my clutch-job, I was close to broke, so I used the cheapest smaller diesel clutch rather than a fancy heavy duty one, and I've never had it slip or show any signs yet (~50k miles) of being worn...I just don't have to 'clutch around' much, even with my inline 'lower torque' motor..While waiting in stop and go traffic for those 3/4 mile long Border Patrol inspection stops in the desert Southwest, I would just put my van in 1st gear and take my foot off the clutch and accelerator...We'd just idle along at maybe one mile per hour...about the overall speed the inspection line would be moving...

.I bet a WBX gas motor with a diesel 5sp would be super in rough road situations with the WBX's lower rpm higher torque motor... If I were to own one of those and had $125k to spend on a Volkswagen van, I might start with the 5sp tranny...It's worth a lot in driveability..