Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Mar 2014 11:00:09 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: clutch chatter
Comments: To: Tom Carchrae <tom@INTELLECTI.CA>

The Van Cafe clutch kit is Sachs. Bus Depot and Gowesty both have Luk as well as Sachs, Luk costing more. Vanagain has both, also. None of them lists a "heavy duty" clutch disk, in kit form or separately. The Vanagain Luk kit does not include a pilot bearing. Gowesty is the only one that lists the felt washer for the flywheel.

Someone said the "clutch yoke" should be replaced. I do not know what that is, and do not find it listed in any description of the clutch or in any parts list. What is it? Does it have another name?

Thanks, Dave

---- Tom Carchrae <tom@INTELLECTI.CA> wrote: > I read somewhere that the heavy duty Luk is NLA. I ordered a Luk clutch > kit from RockAuto for $100 - it seems ok but I'm yet to install it. I also > had to place an order with van-cafe for a transmission gasket and input > shaft seal (leaky transmission), and an order to gowesty for the 'good' > rear mainseal (to stop the oil leak on the clutch). Being in Canada and > paying through the nose for shipping really sucks. van-cafe shipped it on > the cheaper option and it arrived a day after the premium shipping that > gowesty use (and the only thing they offer). > > You can likely get all of these parts from ken (vanagain.com) or ron ( > busdepot.com) - both of these guys are worth supporting too. > > I may have a spare felt seal - I think I had one in my engine gasket > (Elring) set and didn't see it. Happy to mail it if it is indeed the same > as the one I ordered. Likewise if anyone wants to take their chances with > the Elring kit mainseal (I wouldn't based on what I've read). > > I'd never heard about this brass bushing. More learning. I'll check the > bentley and see if I can find a picture of it. > > Also, in case you didn't see these links: > > http://volksweb.relitech.com/clutch.htm > http://www.benplace.com/vw_clutch_job1.htm > > Tom > > > > > On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 7:52 AM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > > ---- JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > > > > The first "Gotcha" is the felt seal over the pilot bearing. > > > > > > The second "Gotcha" is the pilot bearing seal flywheel bushing! > > > this - it will go back together without the bushing - and not to far > > > down the road you will be wondering why your pilot bearing has failed. > > > You can find this little brass bushing on the Samba (try Tencent for > > > one.) > > > > > > With the tranny out - it is well worth the extra bucks to take care of > > > any and all things related to the tranny short of a complete rebuild - > > > and that too if need be. > > > > > > BTW - there are two clutches for the manual tranny - a regular and a > > > heavy duty one. I would get the heavy duty model - LUK brand I believe. > > > > > > > Sources for these items? Thanks, McNeely > >

-- David McNeely