Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Mar 2014 23:13:02 -0400
From:         James <jk_eaton@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A Vanagon/Syncro alternative...Friday rap
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@gmail.com>

Actually, Don, I can tell you exactly what VW would sell a brand new equivalent of our beloved Vanagons for - because in Europe, the Vanagon's grandson the Multivan comes in a Weekender and a Camper edition. (And I'm Canadian and can read the VW de France website - skip the UK's VW website, their prices are always higher because of being right hand drive).

Of course, the names have all changed - but so have the engines, and the most economical diesel in the range gets 39 (!) mpg highway (steady 62 mph - would probably be higher on the US EPA cycle). So we're looking at the 2014 equivalent of a Vanagon Weekender Westfalia - seats 7, sleeps 4, poptop, no kitchen, no syncro 4 wheel drive - the 2014 VW California Beach - 36,000 Euros for the base model. Subtract the 20% French VAT because we're exporting this one, and convert to US dollars (not including trans-Atlantic shipping or any import formalities) and we're looking at US$39,000. (Or, about the price of a loaded Honda Odyssey minivan!)

You want a full camper with kitchen? Syncro four wheel drive? Automatic? All available, but the price goes up, as you move up to the 2014 VW California "Comfortline" and "Edition" models, with the upper lines (Syncro Camper with Automatic etc.) over the 60,000 Euro mark (US$66,000), and of course you can option it up from there.

About the only option you can't get is a gasoline engine - they're all diesels now, ranging from 102 to 180 HP, highway mpg all in the 35-39 mpg range.

I know this because my wife and I seriously investigated a buying a new VW California Beach when we were shopping for a Westfalia and not finding what we liked - or seemed reliable. We have a good German friend who lives near Wolfsburg and he suggested importing one, grey market. Add a couple of thousand dollars to the prices above and you could have one imported - but parts for any breakdown would have to come from Europe! In the end we found a '91 to suit us and it has been quite reliable, so we are happy (and saved $25,000). But the option to import is still in our minds.... and why VW America thinks it couldn't sell $40k campers in a world where that sum buys only a mini-van, a nicely outfitted truck or a 'starter' luxury car is beyond me. Especially when 40mpg is realistically in sight.

James Ottawa, ON '91 Weekender