Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Mar 2014 09:23:12 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: After Market A/C project - Items needed
Comments: To: Scott Greiner <greines@YAHOO.COM>

Especially considering your climate this quest is going is going to grow to be successful. I may have missed it but I believe you have a pop top camper. If rear AC is of any importance at all my suggestion would be to install the rear AC from an 87 and later camper. This should do the bulk of the job. The front should than be the adder. Either way, you don’t just simply add a 2nd evaporator set up. Any second unit needs its own control scheme. It is also an added load. The compressor, condenser, expansion devices, and the evaporators have to be match for capacity. A compressor and condenser can only remove so much heat. AC is all about using the latent heat of vaporization. If the compressor and condenser can’t compress refrigerant to supply the expansion devices with liquid the system will not work. Also for you year electrical supply will be an issue. You will probably need to upgrade the radiator fan and add a remote condenser underneath. I've done this. You will soon be in need of 130 amp alternator and improving the power flow from the alternator. You need to do some homework.

With a family of 5 you will soon be looking for a passenger van to deal with the normal day stuff. This is how Vanagon folks become multi Vanagon families. Some will do the passenger van and a pop up trailer.

Dennis