Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2014, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 Mar 2014 15:04:44 -0400
From:         Michael <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Leak-down Test - How to??
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>

Same procedure. You don't have to lock the crank in anyway; if it's at true TDC it won't move and kill you like a prop can. You use 80 psi, not 120. You don't shut a valve and watch for a leak down; you set the first gauge at 80 psi and watch what the second gauge is reading due to leakages. You listen in the intake for an intake valve leaking, in the tailpipe for a leaking exhaust valve, and in the breather for a leak past the piston rings. You can add a squirt of oil in the spark plug hole and move the piston back and forth to improve the leaky cylinder reading. You can stake the valves if a little is leaking out of one due to debris between the valve and seat. If there's in excess of 10% difference between the highest and lowest cylinders, that's acceptable, but more isn't.

Mike B. (Lic'd A&P since 1981)

Sent from my iPhone